Just before Tucker started school in August we were able to have a little Olsen Family Reunion at Brian Head. It wasn't a true reunion because Daniel wasn't able to come, thanks to his unfortunate crazy work schedule. We definitely missed Daniel! It was a great trip and even though it probably rained almost every day, I loved just being in the mountains and relaxing with family.
On the drive down to Brian Head we stopped at Cove Fort. Sheldon and I have stopped there before, but it was the first time for Terrell and Rachel since they were kids. It's funny we stopped there, because on one trip to California when I was a kid we stopped at Cove Fort, but we were all grumpy and did not want to stop and it has become a joke that we are going to stop at Cove Fort. But we stopped this time and it was great! Cove Fort is a really nice stop, they have great bathrooms and the tour they give is actually really interesting. Tucker had been playing with the camera and so this picture accidentally turned out black and white but it's perfect and fits with Cove Fort.
Tucker got some fun birthday presents from Grandma and Grandpa Olsen. You can't go wrong with some new cars and books.
I love being in the mountains and you can just walk out your front door and go on a great hike! We didn't spend a lot of time hiking since it rained so much, but the little hikes we went on outside our cabin were really fun. Sheldon found lots of great walking sticks to carve.
You can't go to the mountains without having a fire and roasting marshmallows. This summer I made marshmallows for the first time! They are easier than I thought to make and everyone should try them at least once. I love homemade mallows but I also love classic jet-puffed. We had a difficult time making fires since all the wood was wet, but these boys can really make a fire. I tried to contribute by finding cowpies to burn, but cowpies also need to be dry to burn. Lesson learned.
Lots of cows by where we were making our fire. You really had to watch your step and make sure you didn't step in a cowpie.
Deluxe homemade waffles with whip cream and strawberries for breakfast! This recipe for Gluten Free Waffles taste just as good as regular waffles.
Sheldon and his awesome walking sticks. He worked really hard carving it and it turned out really good.
Sheldon and Terrell went biking at Brian Head one morning and the rest of us went on a little nature walk. We learned about animals in the area and lichens slowly break apart rocks.
We drove up to the top of this mountain that has a lookout point, but because there was lightning and we were on top of a mountain, my parents thought we shouldn't get out of the car (for good reason). Rachel and I like to live life on the edge though so we got out and ran to the lookout point. It was really awesome being up on top of the mountain and the clouds so low around us. Luckily no one was struck by lightning and we lived to tell about it!
On Sunday we went to church in Panguitch. Someone at church said my dad looked like Steve Martin :) I think it's a compliment. There was a great park right outside the church we had to stop and play at. It was the only time we had sunny skies!
We stopped at the Cedar Breaks visitor center for a little bit before it started pouring on us.
Of course we played lots of fun games! I think we are playing Dix It here, which is a fun party game. Some of my other favorite games:
Wits and Wagers
Gemblo
Seven Wonders
Trivial Pursuit
Any game I can beat Sheldon... ;)
1 comment:
Just loved your trip pics and it sure made me long to be in the mountains and to hold those kids! :)
Post a Comment